Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A Lateral Move

It was all planned and we were right where we needed to be.  The cycle, sonograms, and blood test all signaled go for our first try this Thursday and Friday.  But then...

Yesterday my wife posted about the HSG test we had where the preliminary results showed some not so great things.  After a some tears and sangria, we tried to sleep on it until our appointment with our amazing doctor this morning.  We met up at the La Jolla office pretty solemn, knowing that there was a good chance that we were about to receive news we didn't want to hear.  After dropping my pants for what feels like a daily ritual, the doctor confirmed our fears...

My left fallopian tube has some abrasions and scar tissue and my right, well, has some sort of traffic jam.  We went into his office to talk about our options.  I can have a very invasive procedure that would clean up the scaring and possibly relieve the jam and then continue with our current plan to conceive OR we move on to In Vitro.  We completely trust our doctor and feel very connected to him and his entire staff so in this moment, Karen turned to him for guidance.  Luckily for us, Dr Smotrich is one of the foremost In Vitro doctors in the world and I'm not exaggerating that even a little.  In some messed up way, this plan suits him better.  He has more control of the process which makes it 4 times more likely that our tries will be more successful.  And mums the word about the likely hood of twins and more with In Vitro...

So, after a day of tears and soul searching, we are both coming to terms about this "lateral move" as Dr Smotrich called it.  I'm coming to terms with the information I have found out about myself.  It's something you take for granted.  Why would I have any issues with my lady parts?  It's not life threatening and, had it not be for trying to get pregnant, I wouldn't have known and it would never have effected me.  But that doesn't change that I feel a bit broken.  That being said, the doctor is very confident in my fertility... my tunnels are just not working and need to be by-passed.

Now we pick ourselves up and dust ourselves off and start the new plan that includes cameras in my uterus, birth control (crazy right, birth control to get pregnant), hormone shots, egg harvesting, and implantation.  All that takes our timeline for our first try to Halloween... well worth the wait.  Sometimes this feels hard and overwhelming but it's something we've always wanted and will do whatever it takes to make two McGuire's become three.

We sincerely thank everyone for the support.  Turns out this adventure is just getting started...

1 comment:

  1. After all the craziness for you both this week, we def need some pool time with homemade sangria... I might even make you a no-mint mojito ;)

    ReplyDelete