Sunday, December 11, 2011

Egg Retrieval's Eve


As we sit here on the eve of our egg retrieval, I feel it's time to catch everyone up on the week that has past. . .

As you may know, we started our hormone regiment last Friday with two shots daily in the abdomen.  Things got off to a good start.  While I felt a bit crazy, cold and exhausted, I was handling myself quite well not to mention the amazing care from Karen.  The weekend passed and we lowered one dosage for one injection on Monday morning.  Tuesday found us heading north to get a check up.  Where as the ovaries were silent on Friday, by Tuesday's exam they were progressing right along.  The doc estimated about 20 follicles each at 6-7 millimeters were doing their thing.  He turned to me and ask if I was bloated.  I said a bit.  He said "You will be."  And damn me if I haven't been.

As the week continued, the shots and check ups continued as well.  By Thursday, Karen could do the injections blind, I was bruising like a peach and had sworn off jean and were heading back to the docs.  After a ultra sound that showed incredible improvement (the follicles were now at 16-17 mm) we were given news we were not excited to hear. . .there would be an additional injection.  My wife has been amazing throughout it all and incredibly strong when it comes to the injections but no one wants to inflict pain on their spouse so we needed a moment on our ride home to gather our composure.  The additional injection, we were told, is a bit trickier.  The nurse literally told us sometimes it bounces back.  Awesome.  But the first day went fine and we only had a few more days with injections.

Unfortunately, Friday was a rough day.  Not only did I kick it off yelling out my fantasy team (damn you Redskins defense) and the toaster oven, but I jumped back during the third injection.  I subsequently broke down for a good 20 minutes while my amazing wife tried to help me and yet support me getting it out.  We went again to success but both of us were very tired.

At Thursdays appointment, we got our dates 90% set. . . egg retrieval Monday, implantation the following Saturday.  On Saturday those dates were confirmed with the follicles now being at 20 millimeters.  And again, we got a surprise when it came to the meds.  We would need to do 2 injections specifically timed to get things ready for the retrieval.  One in the thigh.  One in the upper ass.  Both in muscle.  So after a long Saturday that got underway with an appointment, then at Gyminny all day, dinner with Gyminny people and a party at the Mosers, we headed home to take care of business.  The strength of my other half cannot be underplayed here.  These were some intense injections and I was definitely nervous but she was amazingly calm and made everything go so smoothly.  Granted I'm sore today but their is no getting around that.

This morning we went back up for some blood test and tomorrow we return bright and early for the retrieval.  No work for me tomorrow unless from home because as the nurse practitioner put it "I'm going to feel awful."  So K and I will be cuddled up at home with the furry kids hopefully with a winter storm outside.  (Sorry San Diegans, I'm longing for some seasonal weather.)  And at 5:30pm I will be watching my Seahawks on Monday Night Football.  Oh and yes, I will be wearing Seahawks attire to the appointment. . .  as will Karen.

This last week has gone so incredibly fast and slow at the same time.  With the drugs, early mornings and late nights, we are both exhausted but are so thankful for every moment.  Speaking of moments, that's what we've tried to focus on.  Being present in the journey no matter the outcome.  Remembering that we control so little of this and that's ok.  Tomorrow we control nothing and our destiny is then played out in a petri dish until Saturday. . .

What an incredible journey . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment