Friday, December 2, 2011

Hormones Day 1...

As I lay in bed ruminating, I figure what better time then now to blog about our momentous morning. I have to say, despite the Christmas Eve like excitement I was able to get a decent night sleep after enjoying a Seahawks win. But morning did come early and we were giddy with excitement and anticipation for our appointment. On the drive we laughed and chatted and realized that there may be an evil genius out there being the puppetmaster of the family, spreading rumors like I'm a vegetarian and Karen's afraid of needles. Turns out, neither of those are true.

Regardless, once we finally got to the office, our merriment turned to apprehension. Although everyone has been amazing at La Jolla IVF, we've secretly been waiting for the other shoe to drop. For the down on the roller coaster ride. (Due to these feelings, I may or may not have had a dream that at the appointment, they told me my uterus had fallen out.) As we waited what felt like an excruciating amount of time, we took a moment to remember that this is all a part of a bigger story. Our bigger story. And no matter what happens at the end of this chapter, we need to enjoy each page...

Finally our nurse practitioner came in for our exam. We learned that we were looking for "quiet ovaries" and that this is the only time that is a good thing. Everything was on the up and up so we moved on to the main event...the injections. Our wonderfully amusing nurse Lupe brought in the large bag of medication and started to go into detail with Karen about the two injections she'll be giving me daily in the lower abdomen. One is similar to an épée pen and pretty straight forward. The other is much more like a chemistry exam with syringes, liquid, powder and different needles. Once she was in the know, Lupe did the first injection that burned a bit with the more intimidating needle. Then Karen took a literal stab at it. I've never been so thankful for some stomach chub.

In general the injections themselves aren't that bad but it's the first day and they say I'll have bruising and tenderness so we'll check back on that. Otherwise, I've felt emotionally extreme today. A bit crazy if you will. I'm not so much mad one minute, sad the next but if I'm sad I'm crying and if I'm mad I'm pissed. I can't imagine that's going to improve so again, please send Karen beer. Oh and for those of you into odd tid bits, due to a chance of something called ovary overstimulation something or other, I have to have vast quantities of gatorade or any other electrolyte infused drink plus sodium which I usually avoid and protein.

So that's what we've got so far. I'm exhausted although I'm not sure if it's because of the emotions of the morning or the meds. Tomorrow will be a better indication. Tomorrow is also a coaching Saturday... Good luck to us all...:p

No comments:

Post a Comment